Thursday, December 27, 2012

The good, bad and ugly of discount wine sites

I love shopping and the only thing I love more than shopping is getting a good deal. I thought I'd share some of my most and least favorite sites.

1) wineshopper.com - I love this site! They are affiliated with wine.com so I'm sure they have enough volume to warrant free shipping on orders over $100. They have lots of specials and daily emails to those who subscribe, so it's easy to make sure you get all the juicy discounts.

2) lot18.com -the one thing about ordering random wine online is that I hate ordering really expensive random wine online that sucks. I really have a hard time cooking with expensive wine that was a great big bummer. I haven't ordered from this site, but my brother in law has and he loves it. None of their sale emails have moved me enough to actually place an order. Might be worth a shot.

3) woot.com has a wine section that's sort of hit or miss. I got an awesome deal on a case of Summerland wine, but sometimes the wine looks like it's one step up from yellow tale. Still... It's a good site to check every now and then for a good deal.

4) invino.com-I have sort of a long story about this website. Here's the short version. I found a 3 pack that looked interesting and was about $30 bucks off retail. That same day I happened to find a coupon on Totsy.com for $50 bucks worth of wine for $25. So, I jumped on it. Turns out, that for that particular coupon, only several wines were the option...  and the 3 pack I was looking at was not included. The wines looked... well, just ok. I went for it an bought 2 wines that totaled $50. Then I noticed the $10 buck shipping. Sigh... I hate paying for shipping. The wines were mediocre. There was one cab that was very heavy and ended up giving me a hangover (with a glass and a half). I don't know that I'll be shopping there again.

These are just a few of the wines discounters that I have shopped at. Anyone else have any amazing wine discount sites they would like to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment